PRESENTS WHITE BIRD UNCAGED 2017-18
HAIR AND OTHER STORIES
Running time 2 hours, 15 minutes including one intermission
In 2001, White Bird introduced Urban Bush Women with Jawole Willa Jo Zollar’s humorous and poignant Hair Stories. Hair and Other Stories is a brand new multidisciplinary work that addresses matters of race, gender, identity and economic inequality through the lens of hair, primarily that of African American women. Harking back to the original Hair Stories, this exciting work with a new director is certain to be just as memorable.
ADDITIONAL COMMUNITY EVENTS
- A special community workshop called a Hair Party, combining conversation with movement, will be led by UBW Founder Jawole Willa Jo Zollar and will take place on Saturday, March 3, 1-2:30pm at the Jantzen Building (MRG Foundation), 411 NE 19th at Sandy Blvd.. Fee $10, to support Roosevelt High School’s Black Girl Magic Club. To reserve a place and more information, contact Renee Mitchell, email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE– CLASS IS NOW FULL BUT A STANDBY LIST IS BEING CREATED.
- Choreography Intensive with UBW Artistic Director Jawole Willa Jo Zollar; Saturday, February 24 and Sunday February 25, 10:00am-3:00pmReed College Performing Arts Building: Steiner Dance Studio (PAB 240): Map & directions–Free; appropriate for advanced dancers with prior experience in choreography.Attendance is limited; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about availability.
- Creative Process Workshop with UBW Artistic Director Jawole Willa Jo Zollar; Monday, February 26, 2:40-4:00pm Reed College Performing Arts Building: Steiner Dance Studio (PAB 240): Map & directions–Free; appropriate for intermediate and advanced dancers. Reservations required; please reserve here
- Lecture/Demonstration with Urban Bush Women; Monday, February 26, 7:30-9:00pm Reed College Performing Arts Building: Massee Performance Lab (PAB 128): Map & directions–Free and open to the public; reservations highly recommended! Please reserve here
- Talk: “Urban Bush Women – Past, Present & Future” by UBW Artistic Director Jawole Willa Jo Zollar; Tuesday, February 27, 1:40-3:00pmReed College Performing Arts Building: Massee Performance Lab (PAB 128): Map & directions–Free; open to the Reed community as well as colleagues and students at other institutions.
Share this event:
-Urban Bush Women are based out of Brooklyn, New York
-Hair and Other Stories is also known as Hair 3.3
-Jazz music has always sparked Jawole’s creativity—the company’s name was inspired by a jazz album named Urban Bushmen.
-Urban Bush Women cites the importance of projecting the voices of the under-heard and people of color and bringing attention to and addressing issues of equity in the dance field and -throughout the United States
-To identify as an Urban Bush Woman is to use any or all of the following adjectives to describe yourself: bold, fierce, athletic, strong, honest, inquisitive, determined, artistic, and hopeful.