Henri Michaux: Mouvements
24 Preludes by Chopin, featuring LIVE PIANO accompaniment by Qi Kong, young piano virtuoso from Julliard
Run time: 105 minutes, one intermission
Focusing on the exploration of the body in immediate, intelligible and ever-surprising ways, Montreal-based choreographer Marie Chouinard returns to us with a two-part program. Henri Michaux: Mouvements is inspired by the India ink drawings and poetry of the Belgian artist Henri Michaux (1899-1984), with the dancers responding “word for word” to projections of his artwork. In her masterwork 24 Preludes of Chopin, Chouinard’s exceptionally flexible and charismatic dancers will perform solos, duets, and ensemble pieces set to Chopin’s stirring Preludes, played by pianist virtuoso Qi Kong, who holds a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree from the Julliard school, and is currently in a Master of Arts program at Yale.
– This company has been an icon of Canadian dance since 1990. Her mind bending work is described as “stripped to its bare essence, a theatrical, quasi-operatic effect is achieved, the elements of “living art” brought to the fore through various techniques of composition and staging.”
– Beginning with her first solo creation “Crystallization” in 1978, Marie built her reputation for the next 12 years as a solo artist exploring her interest in formal research as it relates to the human body.
– Marie Chouinard has created a choreographic iPhone App called Cantique! Alter the two dancers icons in the app and coordinate with music to make your own unique dance creation!
– Other than her “Rite of Spring” and her “24 Preludes by Chopin” Marie Chouinard often begins her choreographic process without pre-existing music, choosing to begin with silence which she says promotes “a sense of emergency to create.”
– Louis Dufort is a composer Marie has worked with for the past 18 years. Once she is at the end of the material making phase of the process, she sends him videos and gives
him cues and direction on the way she would like the music to go. He then creates a composition for her.