Artistic Director, Paulo Pederneiras
PROGRAM: (running time 100 minutes with intermission)
SUÍTE BRANCA (32 minutes)
DANÇA SINFÔNICA (42 minutes)
All Choreography by Rodrigo Pederneiras
With its seductive movement, scintillating music, vibrant costuming, sets and lighting, Grupo Corpo reflects the amazing diversity and rich color of Brazil. This hugely popular dance company returns to White Bird with two thrilling new works by Rodrigo Pederneiras that will light up the Schnitzer stage with its incomparable mix of ballet and contemporary Afro-Brazilian movement.
Read Press Release HERE.
- Grupo Corpo (translates to Body Group) is the premier contemporary Brazilian dance company, founded in 1975 by Paulo Pederneiras, though, true to their name, it is the efforts and identity of the group itself which has carried the company through forty years.
- Integral to each creation, each component of production (dance, music, lighting, costume, stage setting) defines the piece and has set the scene for performing arts worldwide. They credit over 45 people in Grupo Corpo between the dancers, assistants, technicians and directors.
- Recognized by their precise language of dance, Grupo Corpo’s choreographer, Rodrigo Pederneiras, uses modern dance as a platform for experiencing a mix of Brazilian and other styles such as samba, capoeira, xaxado, ballet, Afro-Brazilian and ballroom dance.
- Typified by Grupo Corpo’s bright colors, athletic and agile movements and coordinated space, Rodrigo Pederneiras believes “’our body’ learned to dance on the street. . . Everything is translated into [the] private world, where dynamics and balance have even more meaning than movement.” – R Pederneiras
- Music is vital, and inspires the choreography and other aspects of the production. From classical, experimental, Afro-Brazilian, pop, minimalism, each score is specifically composed for the work and gives Grupo Corpo its unique expression.
- This is Grupo Corpo’s fifth time presenting work with White Bird Dance, having performed in 2011, 2006, 2003 and 2001.
- The director/lighting designer Paulo Pederneiras, choreographer Roberto Pederneiras and technical director Pedro Pederneiras are brothers, and many other family members are involved as technicians, photographers, choreographic assistants and technicians.
- Suíte Branca, a ballet in white, implies a relationship with the ground. Pendular movement, suspensions, and undulations meld together to defy and demonstrate the interaction with the law of gravity.
- Dança Sinfônica was created to celebrate Grupo Corpo’s 40th anniversary and is a synthesis and homage of the group’s long and impressive repertoire. The music was written for the 90-member Philharmonic of Minas Gerais and uses the Uakti group, a Brazilian instrumental group known for their custom-made instruments.